Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Lessons learned at a real-live photo shoot!

Yesterday I had my first-ever print ad photo shoot! I booked it through my agency -- it was quite exciting. Here are a few things that I learned:
  1. There is a lot of waiting. My call was at 2pm and then I spent two hours in hair and make-up. Then I waited some more until we started test-shooting around 5. I also waited in between shots. Then when the client was reviewing the shots I waited again. Good thing there were plenty of places to sit.
  2. Things often take longer than you expect. I got there around 1:30 and I was hoping to be home around 5. I actually left the studio at 6:30. I'm so glad my sister-in-law was able to hang out with Jo that whole time! 
  3. It's good to make friends with the people on set. My shoot was pretty physically grueling with lots of squatting and reaching and pulling. Chatting with the guys on the set made it more fun. And they even brought me water when I needed it. Also, people like it when you remember their names.
  4. Casting is a weird process. I found out there were around 200 people at the casting for this job. All sorts -- tall, short, gorgeous, quirky, normal, young, old...you get the point. From what I heard on set yesterday, the client liked the way my hair looked and that I was lanky. Finally, my unique physicality helps me get a job!  
Here's to hoping that more jobs will follow soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment