Friday, April 25, 2014

Another way to use up scraps -- The reusable face round

One of the things I make and sell in our Etsy shop is nursing pads. Some call them breast pads. Sometimes people think they are coasters (which they totally could be). Jo likes to throw them around like frisbies. They look like this:


Last week I was visiting my good friend, Megan, in Michigan, and she had what looked like reusable face rounds. I asked her about them, and they were, in fact, reusable face rounds that she had purchased on Etsy

Now I use disposable cotton face rounds every day for removing make-up, applying toner, taking off nail polish...you get the point. It's kind of expensive to keep buying them only to throw them away. So I whipped up some reusable rounds for myself!


You could probably do it too! All you need is cotton flannel. Some people on Etsy use different materials like terry cloth or organic cottons, but I had regular cotton flannel lying around so I just used that.

Cut out circles in the size that you want. I made two sizes. The smaller ones are about the same size as the disposable rounds I used to buy (about 2" in diameter). This size is great for taking off eye makeup. The larger ones are closer to 4" in diameter (about the size of the nursing pads I make). I like to use this size for removing facial cleansers like Cetaphil.

Take two layers of the fabric and stitch them together. I serged mine together so the ends wouldn't fray. If you don't have a serger, you could also zig zag around the edge. That does the same thing.


Voila! Ta-da! Hooray!

You can wash these as many times as you want. Just put them in a little laundry bag before you throw them in the washer. It helps them last longer.


No comments:

Post a Comment