Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Honest Co. Review

First off I'll start by saying that there are plenty of reviews about Honest products on the interwebs already. I'm happy to add mine to the mix.

If you don't know, The Honest Co. was started by Jessica Alba and Christopher Gavigan. Both are parents who wanted to have family-friendly products without all the icky stuff you see in many baby & home products these days. For those of us trying to raise babies in homes with as few chemicals as possible, this is just plain awesome!

We've tried a number of their baby products. Here's what I think so far:
  • Diapers. We use cloth diapers most of the time unless we're traveling. I bought the Honest diapers for our trips or for when I don't want to do diaper laundry. Most commercial disposable dipes feel gross to me. The Honest dipes don't. They are incredibly absorbent and come in a bunch of designs -- which I love. Here's the thing, though, most of their diaper designs are for girls OR boys. I shy away from the gender-specific patterns in general with all of Jo's clothes/accessories so we went with the skull design (which is actually listed as a boy design on the Honest site). Jo is hard core. I wish they had more unisex designs. They just added five new designs including a super sweet dino design, but everything else is basically "girly" or "boyish." How about more stripes? Geo shapes? Bright colors? Here is Jo rocking out with her skulls.
  • Wipes. I love the Honest wipes! Seriously. Again, they don't feel gross, like many of the other wipe brands do. If you couldn't tell already, I'm big on how things feel to the touch. They don't smell like perfume and they can be used on baby (or grown-up) from top to bottom. See how I used that pun right there? The only thing that gets a little annoying is sometimes they are hard to get out of the package. Many other wipe brands are folded accordion style so getting a wipe out is easy, especially in the middle of a poop-change. Not a deal-breaker. Just mildly annoying. I'll still keep buying them.
I've also started to use some of the Honest home products.
  • Laundry detergent. It's great, really. We have sensitive skin in this house and this laundry detergent hasn't irritated anyone.
  • Dish soap. It smells like grapefruit and not in a cloyingly sweet kind of way. Nick mentioned that it doesn't suds up the way other dish soap does. I told him to get over it. You can also use it to clean basically anything else in your house, which rocks.
  • Sunscreen. First off, it's affordable compared to many other natural sunscreens that can run in the $30 range. It didn't get greasy even when we were in hot Minnesota-summer weather and it goes on smoothly. It's an spf 20. I wish the spf were higher, especially since we are a very fair family, but 20 is better than, say, 8. We use a lot of sunscreen. 
So there you have it. Just my $.02. Speaking of money, the products really compare with other natural or organic baby/home products on the market. You can also "bundle" five items together to save a few bucks. I could list all of the chemicals that aren't added to all the Honest products, but you can find that info on their site. It's pretty cool. They're doing it right with their blog as well. 

I have purchased all of my Honest products and was not asked by anyone to write this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment