Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Fly away with a winged collar

So a while back I got a pattern from my mama for a little boy shirt with a winged color. It's vintage, if you can't tell.

Here is what the pattern looks like.
And here are the instructions that I have. That's it.
Close-up, just so you can see. The sewing guide mentioned at the bottom didn't quite make it to me.
So I had to figure it out on my own. I considered it a great challenge. With my powers of deduction (and sewing knowledge), I assumed that the pattern pieces with two larger dots meant to cut two pieces. Three dots near an edge meant to cut on the fold. So here is what it looked like. All ready to cut!
The pattern pieces have no other markings besides the holes and notches.
I started with the back pieces. Obviously, there is a yolk. Great. That's pretty basic.
Then came the really easy parts: sew together the pieces at the shoulders and the side seams.
The under collar (not sure the official name, but that's what I'm calling it) went on next. It's the under side of the collar -- aptly named, right?
Here you see it with the collar popped. Preppy bikes.
Next it's time for the facing and upper collar piece. It's all one piece and it just happens to fit nicely over the under collar and front of the shirt. Funny how that works, eh?

I was pretty proud of myself that the notches all lined up.
Here's what it looked like all put together:
Once that piece was on, all I needed to do was turn the facing piece under and stitch. Then hem the bottom and the sleeves. Oh yeah, and add buttons. Voila!
I think I'll shorten the sleeves to make it a bit more modern, but other than that I love it.
Don't mind the snot in this shot.
I think she was heading in for a hug in this one. Yay!

















No comments:

Post a Comment