Wednesday, May 23, 2012

It changes everything and it changes nothing.

Our good family friend and officiant at our wedding, Jorge, had a birthday party this weekend. Jorge and his wife Beth have a 7 year old, Hank. Actually, he's now 7 and a 1/2. Sorry about that. We get much needed baby advice from them on a regular basis. Jorge and I were talking about how crazy life with a baby is and he said this, "Having a baby changes everything and it changes nothing."

It makes sense. There are times when I feel I am a completely different person now that Jo is in our lives.  My priorities have completely shifted. My family is number 1. Hands down. I'm exhausted all the time and it's a good day if I get my face washed and teeth brushed. Yep. Still.

Then there are the times when it feels like I am exactly the same person as I was before, but now I just have a baby. It's always been important to me to have multiple creative projects going at once. I need to have a creative outlet or I go crazy. I'm also the kind of person who needs a lot of alone time. Lots of quiet alone time. I had one hour to myself yesterday before rehearsal. Beth and Jorge were gracious enough to take Jo until Nick could get home from work. I didn't have to do anything. I just sat on the couch. It was Heaven. Seriously. 

I guess this is just how things will be moving forward. I'm an artist/actor/mama/wife/woman/worker. That's a fine balance. So yeah, I'm the same. And different. But it's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment