Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Fun with Shibori -- Part 3 -- The Reveal

I said that this would be a three part series, but I'm actually only doing a partial reveal today. Sorry, folks. I haven't had a chance to photograph all of the fabric that we dyed and hopefully will be able to do that next week. In the meantime, here is what the process looked like after the dyed pieces sat in the sun for about two hours.

I opened our test piece up right away just to make sure that it looked the way I wanted it to. It did.

Then I started rinsing the other pieces (still bound).
 Still wearing gloves, of course, as the dye wasn't completely rinsed out yet.
I love the way this red piece looked as I was rinsing out. Kind of like a heart or a placenta. Gross? Yes. And also kind of cool. 
After rinsing until the water ran clear, it was time to remove the bindings. This was the fun part...sort of. It was pretty meticulous work to snip all of the little bindings, but still mildly contemplative. I actually really like small meticulous tasks -- it allows my brain to stop thinking for a bit.
I only snipped one hole in the fabric...
So after I cut off the bindings I washed the pieces in the washing machine with a little bit of detergent.

Woohoo! Next up: you'll finally get to see how it all turned out. Finally. I know. It's about time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment